Usually, after hearing a new idiom, the correct thing is to learn more about that idiom. However, most people do not bother about checking the meaning of a new idiom until they come across it again. This article covers everything you need to know about the idiom "a smart cookie."
The idiomatic expression "a smart cookie" refers to someone smart, intelligent, clever, and consistently makes the right decision. When you refer to someone as a smart cookie, they always have good ideas and know the best options in different situations.
Having provided a brief definition of the idiomatic expression "a smart cookie," we will proceed by examining the idiom in detail to ensure you can use it correctly in a sentence. We will look into the origin. The definition of the idiom, how it is used, and some illustrative examples.
What Does The Expression "A Smart Cookie" Mean?
The idiom "a smart cookie" is frequently used by many people, so for you not to be confused when you hear it or come across it when reading, we will provide some definitions of the idiom.
The idiomatic expression "a smart cookie" refers to someone clever and always provides excellent ideas when it is required. It also means someone extremely intelligent and good at solving problems, especially difficult ones.
It also refers to being brilliant, creative, sharp, and bright. The idiom also means someone can provide solutions and answers when others are confused or do not know what to do.
The idiom also describes someone who always makes the correct choices and makes good decisions regardless of the situation they find themselves in. The idiomatic expression "a smart cookie" refers to someone who has impressed others by an action or decision they took, which produced an excellent outcome.
The expression "a smart cookie" also refers to someone who helps others solve a problem or an issue when they do not know how to go about it. With the understanding of the meaning of the idiom, we will look at its origin.
What Is The Origin Of The Expression "A Smart Cookie"?
We need to study the origin of this idiom because it helps us understand the reason behind the creation of the idiom. We get a glimpse into the happenings of the old times, how the people who lived then viewed life, and their interpretation of life situations. With that been said, let us go back in time.
After a decade or more, the term 'cookie' became associated with the adjective 'smart.' After a while, people started regarding attractive women who were also intelligent as "smart cookies." Over time, the idiom became very popular and was no longer related to women alone but all genders, including children.
Some claim the idiomatic expression "a smart cookie" dates back to 1948, when it became a popular saying, but there is no proof supporting this claim. And others say the idiom "one smart cookie" was the term men used when referring to women back in the 1940s and 1950s.
There are other records that the idiom has been in use since 1920 to refer to people, and there was no specific gender that was being referred to. An English playwright, composer, and actor, Coward Noel, translated the idiom "smart cookie" into British as "clever biscuit."
How Do People Use The Expression "A Smart Cookie"?
To use the idiomatic expression "a smart cookie" correctly in a sentence, you must have an in-depth knowledge of the idiom. Understanding the meaning and origin of the idiom alone is not enough; you need to learn how to use the idiom as well.
The expression "a smart cookie" is majorly used as a compliment. So, for example, when you want to compliment someone for doing or achieving something others have been struggling with for a long time, you can say such a person is "a smart cookie."
You also use the idiom when referring to someone who is brighter than the average person and provides solutions to issues, especially when others have little or no idea of what to do.
The idiomatic expression "a smart cookie" is also used when describing someone who always makes good decisions, especially in difficult situations. It is also used as a method of describing a smart or intelligent person.
You use the idiom "a smart cookie" when thanking someone for solving a difficult problem that you were having issues with. For example, when you are stuck with a mathematical problem, and one of your classmates helps you out, you can show your appreciation by saying such a person is "a smart cookie."
The idiom "a smart cookie" is sometimes referred to as "one smart cookie," however, they both mean the same thing but are used in a different context that they are appropriate for.
Illustrative Examples Of How To Use The Expression "A Smart Cookie"
Moving on, we will be exploring some illustrative examples that help provide further clarity on the idiomatic expression "a smart cookie." This way, you can have a comprehensive understanding of the idiom.
- Before I started going to college, I always thought one had to be a smart cookie to pass mathematics; on getting there, I realized that I could pass as long as I paid attention in class and studied.
- Esther Johnson might be a smart cookie in many things, but she is terrible with calculations.
- When I heard one of my childhood friends, James, had received a Ph.D. in medicine, I realized that he had grown up to become a smart cookie, although he was not clever when we were kids.
- Some of my coursemates said Mike is a dullard and always cheats to pass his exams, but I told them to stop underestimating him because he is a smart cookie, but he does not like showing it.
- When we were asked to nominate a candidate for the association's president, almost everyone nominated Ezra because everyone knows he is a smart cookie and will be a great asset to the school.
- Everyone always thought David was a smart cookie until he failed his exams one semester. That was when we found out he had been cheating to pass his exams.
- I admire Bob for being a smart cookie. Even though he has dyslexia, he does not allow the disability to stop him from achieving his goals.
- No one complained when our boss said Johnson would be the company's new managing director because everyone was aware that Johnson is a smart cookie and will do his best to make the company progress.
- Because I always provided solutions to most family problems, everyone in my family nicknamed me a smart cookie.
- The pioneers of freelancing and remote jobs looked foolish some years back, but they became the smart cookies when the pandemic occurred.
- Most inventors we read about now were thought to be crazy when they spoke about their inventions, but to us, they are smart cookies.
Idiomatic expressions help ease the burden of communication. There are things you want to say but you can't find the right words to pass the message across, idioms help us with that.
However, to use idioms effectively when communicating, you need to have a comprehensive understanding of them. You cannot use idioms when you do not know their meaning, you will be compounding the burdens of communication. So, sit back, relax, and enjoy reading.
More like this:
Shawn Manaher is the founder and CEO of The Content Authority. He's one part content manager, one part writing ninja organizer, and two parts leader of top content creators. You don't even want to know what he calls pancakes.