Have you ever read a book or blog post and encountered words that are very lengthy or sound quite complex to understand without researching further? Use "sophisticated" to refer to such terms. Let's help you gain relevant information and understand the sophisticated definition, meaning, and usage.
Sophisticated is a word derived from sophisticate, which means to make complex or difficult to understand. In some sentences, the term also means having much information regarding culture or travel.
Sophisticated might not be a new word for many reading this article since the term is almost everywhere. Nevertheless, you might not know its other uses or meanings. The best way to learn this and much more is by reading this article. We will educate you on the sophisticated definition, meaning, and word use in speech and writing.
What Is The Definition Of Sophisticated?
The word sophisticated refers to a person widely informed on various matters. Such people are best suited to handle any situations deemed complicated. It can either be a mental or physical problem.
An individual considered sophisticated is comfortable and knowledgeable of different situations and cultures and thus cannot be fooled easily. You can also refer to someone with relevant information in matters such as travel, fashion, and world cultures as sophisticated.
Here are some sentences to help you understand:
- As charming and sophisticated Charles might be, something about him seems slightly off to me.
- Rachael was a lady from a wealthy family with sophisticated tastes but did not know how to live alone.
- I consider myself widely traveled, but I have never seen such a sophisticated group of people in my life.
Who Is A Sophisticated Person?
There are two ways one can define such a person with the word. Most people will recommend a sophisticated individual when it comes to technical work. It's because such a person has knowledge and wisdom in certain things.
Such a person also has refined ways or tastes. The second way to define a person with the same word is by referring to them as complicated or complex in their ways; a person that is difficult to understand.
Is Sophisticated a Compliment? The word applies positively. As a compliment, it means that the person is well-learned. It also means that a person has been changed positively by education or experience and is no longer naive.
Is Sophisticated a Positive or Negative Word?
The word sophisticated is primarily positive. It means being knowledgeable in the world's ways or culturally refined. The word also describes something complex because of how it is created. Simply put, the term is generally positive because the individual described as sophisticated is well learned and has many experiences regarding culture or worldly wisdom.
What Is The Meaning Of Sophisticated?
The word sophisticated also defines something complex or difficult to understand on the first try. It is also used to refer to something made using great skill.
This word is applicable when illustrating how difficult it is to understand something. You may use it when primarily referring to machines or systems that are of advanced nature. For instance, how a security lock uses your eyes to recognize you can be classified as a sophisticated technological advancement.
Here are some examples incorporating the word Sophisticated:
- I found out that bees and termites are some animals that use the most sophisticated methods of communication.
- He could not go through any security doors due to their sophisticated security system.
- The Hubble telescope is one of the most sophisticated pieces of technology ever made in space.
What Is The Opposite Of The Word Sophisticated?
The opposite of the word sophisticated is untutored. The term refers to an individual lacking information or knowledge. It also means not taught formally. An individual that is ignorant or unsophisticated is what people refer to as a simpleton. Other antonyms of the word sophisticated include; wide-eyed, unworldly, simple, naive, crude, or backward.
What Is The Difference Between Sophisticated And Classy?
People often misuse sophisticated and classy due to words' similarities in their meanings. However, these two words have different definitions. In case you don't know, the word sophisticated refers to something that is highly developed or complex. It also means having advanced knowledge of worldly mannerisms.
The word classy, on the other hand, refers to showing or reflecting an extreme level of high standards. Sophistication is being refined or cultural, whereas being classy is portraying high standards of personal behavior, style, or personality.
Words That Rhyme With Sophisticated
Are you trying to come up with words that sound similar to sophisticated? If that is your goal, do not worry. Some words that rhyme with sophisticated are listed below.
How To Use Sophisticated In A Sentence
The word sophisticated initially comes from sophisticate, which means making something complex. "Sophisticated" is an adjective that defines any noun next to it as having obtained worldly experience. It is also defined as elegantly refined.
Have a look at the sentence below:
- We came across a sophisticated lady that spoke French, Spanish, and a bit of English.
- The adjective "sophisticated" modifies the noun "lady" as elegantly refined. The word is also used as a noun and adverb, as we shall see below:
Using Sophisticated As A Noun
When the word sophisticated turns to a noun, it becomes sophistication. It describes a state of enlightenment or education. The word also defines the quality of intellectual worldliness or a state of complexity. Use the words sophisticatedness or sophisticator as other noun forms of the word.
Have a look at these sentences:
- The Mercedes Benz GLE is a sport utility vehicle with a modern feel while incorporating luxury and sophistication.
- Many people are still fascinated with Freemasons because they have a sense of sophistication they aspire to have.
Using Sophisticated As An Adverb
As an adverb, the word sophisticated will change to "sophisticatedly." It expounds on actions that happen in a complex or refined manner. Other words such as complicatedly, experiencedly, or polishedly are synonyms you can use in place of sophisticatedly.
Here are sentence examples:
- The film is based in the future, not so much to raise awareness but more to sophisticatedly highlight the ills of society.
- All his cars are white with a red stripe, making them more sophisticatedly identical and classy.
10 Examples Of Sophisticated In A Sentence
The subsequent ten sentences will help you better understand the word sophisticated. Go through them carefully to familiarize yourself with how to use the word in the future.
- I wouldn't say I like Sally hanging out with her new friends because I always feel she might not be as sophisticated as they are.
- It might not look like it now, but when the first iPhone came out, people thought it was one of the most sophisticated gadgets they'd ever seen.
- When Alex moved into the neighborhood, many people thought he was a sophisticated man with his electric car and gadgets.
- One of the reasons the Playstation 3 was one of the best-selling consoles at the time was its sophisticated design.
- Nancy told me that what drew her to Tim was his calm tone, sophisticated look, and how he talked to her.
- My grandmother says she doesn't like sophisticated fellows because she does not believe they have the zeal for life.
- Teresa says she is not used to staying with a sophisticated person like Derrick in the same house but will get used to it.
- One of Neymar's characteristics is that he always wants to look sophisticated with his outrageous hairstyles.
- The golden gate bridge is one of the most sophisticated architectural works done in the state of San Francisco.
- When you start your diet, your food plan must be simple, easy to follow, and not as sophisticated as some think it should be.
How Do You Spell Sophisticated?
There are two ways you can spell the word sophisticated. Either S.O.P.H.I.S.T.I.C.T.A.TE.D or \ sə-ˈfi-stə-ˌkā-təd \ according to the International Phonetic Alphabet.
How Do You Pronounce Sophisticated?
The best way to pronounce the word sophisticated is [suh].[fi].[stuh].[kay].[tuhd].
How Many Syllables Are In Sophisticated?
The word sophisticated is a thirteen-letter word with five syllables; so.phis.ti.cat.ed.
History & Etymology Of Sophisticated
The word sophisticated comes from its root word sophisticate, which has a history dating back to Medieval Latin in the 14th century. The word comes from sophistic, which later became sophisticatus—these words initially defined something impure or not simple. People later used the word to define an individual that seemed worldly or cultured in 1796.
When Was Sophisticated First Used?
1601 was the first time people used the word sophisticated with its current definition.
The word sophisticated might seem complicated to use for first-time English speakers. However, this shouldn't be the case for you now that you're familiar with the sophisticated definition, meaning, and uses. Remember to read and practice sentences incorporating the word sophisticated to improve your confidence in using the word. Here is some good news: using words such as sophisticated often will bring you closer to being an expert in the English language.
Shawn Manaher is the founder and CEO of The Content Authority. He's one part content manager, one part writing ninja organizer, and two parts leader of top content creators. You don't even want to know what he calls pancakes.