You’ve done your market research, you’ve identified a potentially profitable subject, and you’ve created what you believe to be a stellar eBook product.
Now get ready to publish and sell!
Thankfully, the self-publishing industry is growing exponentially, which means there are far more distribution channels available now than there were just a few short years ago. Besides setting up an account with a provider like PayPal to receive payment for book sales, you should consider your distribution options. The following channels are among the most popular for publishers hoping to enter the online digital media market:
- Amazon’s Kindle Direct Publishing (https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/signin)
- Barnes & Noble’s PubIt! (https://pubit.barnesandnoble.com/pubit_app/bn?t=pi_reg_home)
- Smashwords (https://www.smashwords.com/about/how_to_publish_on_smashwords)
- Lulu (https://www.lulu.com/publish/ebooks/)
- Overdrive (https://www.overdrive.com/Solutions/Publishers/)
- iBooks Author (https://www.apple.com/ibooks-author/)
- Author Solutions (https://www.authorsolutions.com/authorservices.aspx)
- BookBaby (https://www.bookbaby.com/)
- ClickBank (https://www.clickbank.com/sell_products.html)
Before you select your publishing platform, be sure to check out the programs each company offers and the associated fee structures. While one company may pay you a percentage of the royalties you earn and not charge a distribution fee, another might pay out 100% of the royalties and charge a yearly distribution fee. Naturally, you want to pick a platform that aligns with your business goals and offers the most bang for your buck.
Tips for Creating a Highly Effective Promotional Campaign for Your New eBook
1. Build anticipation and create demand by pre-selling your eBook – When you strategize your promotional approach, always think about pre-launch activities. You should try to leverage every opportunity to build excitement so that when you do launch your book, you already have an audience champing at the bit to buy, or readers who have already purchased your book in advance.
Excellent ways of building anticipation include:
– Writing relevant blog posts
– Offering sample chapters
– Sharing interesting bits of information via your social pages
– Promoting to your email lists
– Posting creative video clips related to your book
2. Create a dynamic and highly-targeted sales page – A compelling and well-written landing page that highlights the benefits of your book and tells your target market what problem it solves is a must. Don’t forget to split test your sales page on a regular basis so that you know what works and what doesn’t.
Ideally, you’ll hire a professional copywriter to help you create effective copy. If you’re unable to afford an expert, then check out our three part series on learning the ABC’s of a moneymaking sales page.
3. Create an article marketing campaign that supports your promotional efforts – High quality SEO articles distributed over a variety of article directories offer a great way to generate exposure and build authority within your chosen niche. Make sure you follow article directory guidelines and that you write about the topic of your eBook and not the eBook itself. Make the most of your author resource box by linking back to your sales page.
4. Provide social proof through genuine testimonials – As you collect testimonials, add them to your sales page and other relevant promotional materials. They’re an excellent means of proving someone has read your book and found its contents useful. The good news is that readers can easily provide reviews of your book if you choose to leverage a distribution platform like Amazon.
5. Create newsworthy press releases – In addition to creating a press release for the launch of your book, identify other newsworthy and relevant events that can help you promote your eBook product.
6. Give appropriate bloggers a free copy of your eBook in exchange for an honest review – Make sure the blogger’s audience consists of your target market and that the audience is large enough.
7. Develop an affiliate marketing program – ClickBank is probably one of the best platforms to help you do this. If you simply don’t have the time or money to launch and maintain a comprehensive promotional program, affiliate marketing offers a perfect solution. Be sure to include the expense of affiliate commissions when determining the price of your book.
Additional ideas for promoting your eBook:
– Create a contest and offer free copies of your book as the prize
– Try to gain guest spots on other blogs and write about your topic
– Add a link to your eBook in your email signature
– Post announcements regarding your book on your social media profiles, including Twitter, Facebook, Google+, and LinkedIn
– Offer bonuses or other incentives to buyers
– Send announcements and complementary materials to your email list
– Create additional streams of income with spin-off products
– Become active on relevant forums and blogs
– Create compelling content for your own blog
Ultimately, you need to integrate multiple platforms and channels when outlining your promotional approach. A high quality ebook supported by the right distribution channel, payment methods, and marketing materials will have far more success than an eBook that’s simply published and left to be discovered on its own. Make sure you spend plenty of time deciding how you want to position your eBook within the market place, as well as how you want to promote it.
There’s no denying that creating an effective promotional campaign isn’t always easy. This is especially true for marketers and individual publishers who don’t have sufficient resources. What have you found to be the most challenging aspect of marketing your book? What has worked for you? We’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below.