Dogs will always want to eat what you’re eating. That’s a great way to bond, but it’s a big mistake when you’re sharing grapes and related products like raisins, sultanas, and currants with them. Unfortunately, most pet parents are not conversant about what grapes can do to their dogs. So, can dogs eat grapes?
Simply, no. Never give your dog grapes because they’re quite toxic. Once your dog eats them, they experience severe body reactions due to grape poisoning. That affects your furry friend’s health and well-being. The devastating consequences can even result in fatality.
Here, we help you get the right, and comprehensive answer on “can dogs eat grapes?” and, more so, explain grapes toxicity in dogs, symptoms to monitor when a dog eats grapes and safety precautions to consider. Keep reading to learn more.
Can Dogs Eat Grapes?
Good question. But no, don’t feed your dog grapes. You might think that they’re a fun, bite-sized treat for dogs, but that’s not the case.
Grapevine (Vitis vinifera) fruits and products, including grapes, are toxic to dogs. It doesn’t matter whether it’s the purple, red, or green grapes, the moment your dog consumes them, it can be a life and death matter. You might even end up booking an emergency room for your dog, and that’s not what you want.
Still on grapes, don’t share any food with your dog that consists of grapes, including the creative recipes that look scrumptious like grapefruit salads or cookies. Keep them away; they’re not safe.
We understand that the cute eyes and innocent look on your dog can confuse you. No matter your dog’s approach to begging you for grapes, don’t fall in that trap. You must learn to be a responsible dog owner if you want a healthy dog.
Can Dogs Eat Raisins Instead?
No, dogs shouldn’t eat raisins. The dried-up cousins of grapes are dangerous for all dogs. Please don’t expose them anywhere close to your dog. Doing so risks raisins poisoning.
Some veterinarians and nutritionists argue that raisins have a significant concentration of the grape content in a dehydrated form, causing raisin toxicity in dogs. That’s why you’ll notice that dogs that have eaten raisins will show similar symptoms with those suffering from grape toxicity.
Which Dogs Can Safely Eat Grapes?
It doesn’t matter whether you’re raising a German shepherd or a Labrador retriever, there’s no special dog breed resistant to grape or raisins poisoning. Not even the size, age, or current health situation can save your dog.
Note that grape poisoning showcases differently among various dogs. Some dogs will show mild symptoms, while others are seriously affected by the poisoning. But one thing is clear: even when symptoms may take long to showcase, no dog is exempted from grape poisoning.
What Are The Toxic Ingredients in Grapes?
So, what’s the cause of grape poisoning? Well, nobody knows the exact component in grapes that causes the poisoning, not even veterinary scientists. A clinical microbiology article published in NCBI suggests that mycotoxins in grapes might cause poisoning. But that doesn’t seem convincing yet because humans can enjoy grapes safely.
Research on finding and extracting a scientifically proven toxic ingredient is still a work in progress. Since there’s no exact known cause, it’s recommended not to consume the seedless or peeled grapes.
As of now, the poisonous effect is based on circumstantial evidence. The fact that dogs that have consumed grapes have had their health affected.
While the toxic ingredient remains a mystery, the toxic act of grapes is quite evident. That reminds you of being cautious about exposing your dog to grapes.
Why Are Grapes Bad For Dogs?
You’ve probably heard people proudly say that they give their dogs grapes and nothing has ever happened. We won’t treat that statement lightly. The reality is that such dogs are at risk of suffering internally.
Kidney damage is the major complication that results from grape or raisins toxicity. Your dog risks suffering from acute kidney failure that’s characterized with no urine production. That is enough evidence to show grapes are bad for dogs.
Since pet owners focus more on the dog’s external look, they might not realize the pet’s changes until it’s very late. Sometimes, the effects are intermittent, and your dog may look fine the first time it eats grapes and become seriously ill the next time.
Signs and Symptoms of Grape Toxicity
Within a few hours of ingesting grapes, your dog starts showcasing different symptoms, which later advance when you don’t give immediate attention. Most often, these signs occur in combination.
Here are signs and symptoms of grape poisoning in dogs:
- Abdominal pains and discomforts
- Decreased appetite whenever served meals
- Diarrhea that occurs moments after ingestion, and it may contain pieces of grapes or raisins
- Vomiting pieces of grapes or raisins after ingestion
- Weakness, due to body lethargy, to the extent of decreasing the dog’s mood
- Dehydration due to increased thirst, and it’s evident in the nose, skin, and neck
- Passing of small (oliguria) or no urine at all (anuria)
- Tremor, shivering, and seizures that can even lead to coma
- Oral problems characterized by ulcers and foul breath (halitosis)
- Acute renal failure that occurs within 24 – 72 hours after ingestion
Any moment you notice any of these grapes or raisins poisoning, don’t hesitate to get in touch with your veterinarian or emergency animal care center immediately!
Are Grapes Safe For Dogs To Eat?
Two main questions come to your mind regarding grapes safety: Are grapes safe for dogs? What kind of grapes are safe?
The answer is a fat NO. Grapes are not safe for dogs, irrespective of color or size. More so, crushed and fermented grapes are a no-no for all dogs. Unfortunately, even organic, homegrown grapes are not safe.
On the flip side, humans benefit significantly from the anti-inflammatory properties, natural antioxidants, high amounts of fiber, and vitamin K from considerate amounts of grapes.
How Many Grapes Are Poisonous for Dogs?
No amount of grape that’s safe. Can a single grape harm your dog? Even 1 or 2 grapes is a dangerous dose. When the dog ingests a huge amount, poisoning becomes extreme. More so, with 0.7 ounces of raisins, you will also be risking your dog.
ASPCA once shared the story of a puppy that showed elevated kidney values after eating only ten grapes. The owner, Wendy, realized the following day that the puppy suffered from grape poisoning. After examination and treatment for a week, the dog recovered fully.
How toxic are grapes for dogs? Can Grapes kill dogs? How many dogs have died from consuming grapes?
Grapes toxicity, without a doubt, can kill your dog, especially when you ignore immediate treatment. Kidney failure, coupled with other symptoms, can kill your dog in just a few days. A while back, Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) reported a death case after the dog’s owner failed to seek medical attention after three days of grape poisoning.
What Should You Do When Your Dog Eat Grapes?
We’ve seen people ask: my dog ate grapes, what do I do? The first thing is to call your vet or the ASPCA toll number immediately. Faster treatment attention increases the chances of a complete recovery.
Depending on the time taken before you call your vet, the amount consumed, and your dog’s current situation, your vet will advise you accordingly. Your vet might advise you to induce vomiting to get rid of the grape toxins before absorption starts.
Don’t induce vomiting when your dog is unconscious, has breathing problems, is in distress, or you’re unsure whether it has consumed grapes.
In such cases, the best thing is visiting the vet’s facility for treating grape toxicity in dogs. The vet will request you to give them relevant data before ordering diagnostic tests and later giving medications like IV injections or kidney dialysis or a transplant for extreme cases.
Preventing Grape Toxicity
Preventing grape toxicity begins with keeping your dog away from grapes or raisins. Follow the following tips for your dog’s safety:
- Store your grapes in safe containers that dogs can’t open. Not on open counters or pantries.
- Let your kids know that they don’t need to share grapes with puppies.
- Read labels of your dog’s dietary product to ensure they’re grape free.
- Feed your dog healthy alternatives like well-prepared watermelons and pineapples.
So, Can Dogs Eat Grapes? Are Grapes Safe For Dogs To Eat?
Absolute no! Grapes or raisins are highly toxic and not recommended for dogs. Your dog only needs a healthy diet. Luckily, there are multiple dog-friendly fruits and veggies out there. In case the dog eats grapes and related products, call your vet immediately for intervention.
Do you have any experience relating to dogs and grapes? How did your dog overcome grape poisoning? Please share it with us, and we’ll appreciate it.